Monday, April 13, 2009

Hush Little Baby...

Most nights, Rory requests that I sing "Hush Little Baby". At some point, out of sheer boredom, I started to make up new words. The song always starts with "Hush little baby, don't say a word. Mama's gonna buy you a mocking bird." It always ends with, "you'll still be the prettiest girl in town." But everything in the middle is up for grabs. The quality of the song from day to day depends solely on my penchant for rhymes that day.

Lately, Rory has decided I'm a jukebox, and she can now make requests of sorts. She comes up with a word or phrase and asks me to work it into the song. She's not challenging me, per se. She just has something on her mind and would like to hear it in the song. However, her requests aren't simple, like "red balloon" or "rainbow kite". This week, a couple of the requests have been "Elmo bus" and "mocking dorn". Try coming up with rhymes for those! And don't forget, the phrase of the song says And if that mocking dorn (insert verb here). Well? What does a mocking dorn do? AND, you have about 3 seconds to come up with an answer before she rolls over and starts throwing more jibberish at you.

Now I think SHE is mocking ME.

No comments:

Post a Comment