"Rory, what do you want for breakfast? We have waffles, pancakes, and toast."
"Do we have bagels?"
"No, we finished them yesterday."
"I like waffles but sometimes they don't fill me up... I like pancakes but we only have one left... Maybe I could put peanut butter on them...Or have some fruit with it...Do you know what Dad packed in my lunch?...Mom, I just don't KNOW!!!"
Mommy, realizing the need to simplify ... "OK, I'll make it easier. I'm making you toast. I'm putting peanut butter on one piece. You let me know what you want on the second piece, butter or peanut butter."She eats the piece with peanut butter, then spends 5 minutes agonizing over the decision about the other piece of toast. I can't even remember what she ended up choosing, but it's sad/maddening to see how distraught she gets. The combination of being bright (can see all the angles and details of every option) and being Jewish (high-anxiety kid) is NOT doing this kid any favors!!! :)
I won't even tell you about the 30 minutes it took for her to choose what to wear! OY!

No comments:
Post a Comment