Wednesday, October 05, 2011

An Ode to Steve Jobs

I feel the need to write on our blog tonight, for historical purposes, about the news today that Steve Jobs, founder of Apple, has died.  I am typing this on the first Mac I've ever owned.  I may have had my frustrations with this computer over the years, but man, it's still sexy.  Sitting next to me is my Google Android phone, which looks a whole lot like the original iPhone.  On this computer, the majority of our storage speace is chewed up by Jason's enormous music collection in iTunes. 

Like the moment Barack Obama was inaugurated as president, I'm struck about how different Rory's life will be than mine.  Rory, now 5, knows how to use this computer, my phone, and Jason's iPod.  She will never know a world where they didn't exist.  While we have seen what trick this magician, Steve Jobs, has pulled out of his fancy imagination every year when he donned his black turntleneck and jeans announcing the newest innovation by Apple, these things will seem archaic to Rory.  The iPod will be to Rory what the 8 track player is to me.  Amazing.

Steve Jobs made that happen.  He was our magician, our rock star.  Our Henry Ford, our Alexander Graham Bell.  He created this world of digital information, photos, sharing, and apps.  He dreamed it, created it, and found a way to make it not only so useful, but damn sexy and simple.  It's strange to think about the fact that he created SO much of the world we live in, and now he doesn't live in it himself anymore.  It was a very special time for us to be able to live through, to watch the way the world has changed in the last 20 years, probably more than any other 20 years in history, very much in part to Steve Jobs.

My thoughts are with his family and friends.  I hope everyone takes a brief second to stand in awe of what this man contributed to our world.  I'm off to feed the fish on my phone now.

No comments:

Post a Comment