Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Tide Has Turned

For three years now, I have been the favorite parent. Not through anything I have done, or any personality feature I have that Jason lacks, but by the sheer magic of being MOMMY. It's a beautiful gift that I think God gives us to make up for everything we have to handle during the baby and toddler years... "Yes, you'll be exhausted and overwhelmed for a few years, but in return, I will make you THE FAVORITE."

The tide has turned.

At bedtime, the evening routine always is that the three of us read books together, then Daddy says goodnight and Mommy stays to rub Rory's back for a few minutes before she goes to sleep. In fact, just two nights ago, Rory started crying when I had the gall to suggest that maybe Daddy stay to rub her back rather than me. And now, just 48 hours later, the tide has turned.

Putting Rory to bed tonight, we read stories as usual. When it was time for Daddy to say goodnight, Rory said she wanted to go with him. And then, in the next 10-15 minutes, I probably heard 30 times in a whiny voice, "But I want to go everywhere Daddy goes!"

Oh, the knife in my heart.

But maybe this means that I'll have an extra 10 minutes every night now. :)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:52 PM

    Jill!! Hola! Did you get my email from a few weeks ago? I am nervous maybe I have a wrong email address now... email me if you get a chance!!

    -- Kelly (and Eric!)

    ReplyDelete