I had to write a topical post since I hope that one day Rory will see this and look back on her own history, as part of the country's history. Yesterday was the inauguration of Barack Obama, the first African-American President of the United States. Jason and I watched the inauguration together here at Wash U, in the student union, with a couple hundred students. Rory watched at school. When I picked her up she was telling me all about it. Here's some of the conversation:
Rory: Mommy, where is Barack Obama?
Mommy: He's in Washington, D.C. honey.
Rory: No he isn't, Mommy. He's in AMERICA!
Mommy: You are so right, Rory.
Rory: Can Barack Obama come to my house?
Mommy: Well, Ro, he's pretty busy. I don't think he'll be coming to our house. He works a lot.
Rory: Does he go to other people's houses?
Mommy: Not really, Ro. He works a lot, then goes home to see his family. I don't think he gets out a lot just to visit houses.
Rory: If he will go to people's houses, he can knock on the door, and if they open it, he can come in and he can bring them a PRESENT!
Mommy: Really? Wow. What kind of presents do you think Barack Obama would bring people, Ro?
Rory: He can bring me a giant black Slinky! I saw one at Uncle Jeff's house!
So, I do believe that my child has cast some Santa-esque qualities onto President Obama. I think this is a great representation of what her mind can comprehend about all this right now. It's amazing to think that she will grow up in a world where she doesn't know any different. There have always been African-American Presidents in her world. Amazing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I think your quote is excellent and I had to reference it in my post about Inauguration Day (www.derncare.wordpress.com)
ReplyDeleteI also wanted to tell you about www.scrapbookblogger.com which is a website where you can import your blog into it and print it into a printed photo book. It's really cool.
Hope all is well!
Care
(Pearland Mom's Group)