Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Mama's first emergency


Well, I've had my first Mama panic moment! Rory and I went to the store this morning. When we returned, she was asleep. I brought her into the house and set her (in her car seat) on the kitchen counter. I walked back into the garage to close the car and garage doors and that's when it happened. A habitual move, done a hundred times, but done this time in the wrong circumstance. I locked the door to the house behind me as I shut it. LOCKED OUT! AND RORY IS INSIDE! My keys are in the diaper bag in the house, along with my cell phone! Lap #1 around the house: No doors unlocked. Run to Roxanne and Kenny's house next door. Roxanne answers and I explain what has happened. I try to call Jason, but he is in a training session at work and I can't reach him. Roxanne and I figure we're just going to break something to get in, the door knob, a window, whatever. Lap #2 around the house: No windows unlocked. And a quick check through the back door tells me Rory is still asleep. Roxanne calls Kenny at work, and he is, miraculously, on his way home and is one block away. Apparently Kenny was a burglar in a past life, as he is able to get me into the door within about 30 seconds. I won't give away his strategy, however, because it's almost scary how nothing can be detected from the outside that would show that we broke into the house. I run in the house to check on Rory, and she just looks up at me with a HUGE grin on her face, like she just woke up from her nap. A "Well, Hi Mama!!" face. My heart breaks as I say, "Oh, so you still trust me, huh?"

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:37 PM

    Harrowing! Rory looks none the worse - and rather pleased- after her stint as queen of the castle. But then again...I suspect she is queen even when her mom and dad are not locked out.

    ReplyDelete